Thursday, June 14, 2012

Ding, Ding, Yellow Bell.









"Mommy, where are the fruit roll ups?"
Two year old Lillie has wandered in and found me at the washing machine.

"They are up in the cupboard.  Just wait a minute and I'll get you one."

An interval of 15 seconds passes as she steps around the laundry basket.
"Mommy, where are the fruit roll-ups?"  she repeats.

"I just told you, they are up in the cupboard. 
When I finish this laundry, I'll get you one."
I hope that the firmness in my voice will thwart her determination,
but there is no such thing.

"Mommy," she asks again, after a time slot of about the same endurance as before.
"Where are the fruit roll-ups?"

Realizing my predicament,
 I answer,
"I don't know."

The silence that follows, coupled with her intense looking at my face,
the lack of movement,
the blinking eyes,
brace me for the unpredictable.

Finally,
"Mommy,"

"What Lillie?"

"Mommy, don't 'don't know.' "


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Ding, ding, ding.



I had discarded the little yellow bell.
having never used it.
Lillie had seen it on its way to the Good Will box
and had rescued it.

"Can I have the bell, Mommy?" 
she brought it to me as I was preparing to head out the back door to the clothesline.
Having said "No," to a dozen other things already,
I half-heartedly agreed.

I hear it:
out the front door,
down the porch steps,
across the yard,
up the driveway,...
 

then it stops.

I peek around from the clothesline and see them up by the empty calf pens.
Levi is in one of the stalls,
and Lillie is picking up grass from the freshly mowed lawn
to put into the bucket to feed the "cow."

Ding, ding, ding.

I hear it again, this time heading for the swing set.
I hear laughter.

Ding, ding, ding.

Now it's coming up beside the far side of the house.
I see them, over the towel I just hung on the line.

"What are you doing?"
I ask.

"I am chasing Tiger.  She is scared of the bell,"
Levi's eyes gleam with devilish delight as Lillie trudges up the hill behind him.

 

"Don't chase Tiger, Lebi.  I love Tiger.
She's my friend."

"Okay, let's go then."
He gives in,
 just as he always seems to do.

Ding, ding, ding.

I hear them heading down to the blueberry bushes,
hear Levi telling her that the lace curtains draped on the bushes
are so the birds won't eat the blueberries,
almost word for word what I had told him the night before when I had
dressed the bushes in their ghostly attire and he'd been intrigued by them.

Ding, ding, ding.

The bell wanders up the orchard path, closer to the big pond,
so I call them back.

"Levi, Lillie,
Time to go inside.  It's starting to get dark.
You can have a fruit roll up now."


 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

He enters the kitchen and asks what I am doing with the green lemons.




 I laugh.
"These aren't green lemons.

Do you know what they are, Violet?"

 After thinking a few seconds,
her face beams:
"Oh, I know!
They are limons."


Limonade Recipe:

10 juiced limes (to make 2 cups, or thereabouts)
Gallon Jar
2 cups of sugar (or to taste)
water (2 cups of hot water in which to dissolve the sugar).

Mix up together.

Drink on a thirsty evening.



TIP:
Avoid drinking after eating a fruit roll up.



Linking up to:
Please come back next Wednesday to link up to my new link party:
The theme this week is: Garden or Park Tour,
if you'd like.

23 comments:

  1. What a great post! I really enjoyed reading this. Thank you for sharing this valuable information with us. I have bookmarked this site and will be sure to check for updates. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you so much!! What a compliment.

      Delete
  2. thanks for letting us play along with levy and lillie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious story! Lillie is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, she seems to receive a lot of adoring kisses from everyone in the house. :)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post. Isn't it wonderful to be able to see the world again through a child's eyes. The photo of Lillie and 'Lebi' running down the drive is precious! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when I take the time to enjoy them, it is great to see life again as they do. :) So simple and unhampered.

      Delete
  5. What a sweet post. The photos are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great little slice of family life...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a super post of family life and love! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you. Family life can be brilliant...at numerous times. :)

      Delete
  8. I smiled the entire time I read your story, and that is what I call it, a story. Be sure to keep telling these delightful stories and taking photos so that you will have these wonderful snippets of your life to share with your children when they are grown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to keep these posts for them, someday. :)

      Delete
  9. very cute. And what a good way to know where Lillie is! {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's what I kept thinking, that I should use the bell more often. :)

      Delete
  10. You made me smile...Precious! Blessings, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lillie is too cute for words! & love that home in the photo of her running down the pathway! Thank you so very much for linking up to Fishtail Cottage's garden party this week ~ enjoying my evening peeking around the party! xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracie. You have a fun link party! :)

      Delete
  12. this was just plain delightful!! Great photos to go along with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your home is my idea of heaven.

    Your delightful stories of your children and your life really warm my heart.

    This was incredibly wonderful.

    I am just grinning...and wanting to move to your part of the world!

    Thank you for linking.

    When I get back from Oregon, I'm wanting to link up with your party. It sounds like fun!

    Thank you for sharing this link.

    A+

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!