Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Hunt



 "Violet, where is Levi?"

"He was up at the barn."

"He was?  But isn't Daddy done feeding the cows yet?"

"Yes."

"Well, then what is Levi doing?"

"I don't know."
 My son is the quiet, busy child,
usually doing something
which is unexpected.



 "I see a cat up there
and the dog,
so he must be nearby."



 Something about Levi
attracts the animals. 

I think it's because he doesn't bother with them
except to feed them or pet them once in a while.

A cat can usually be found snoozing on the couch beside him
when he's engrossed in a dinosaur book.



"Hello, Moon.

Where is Levi?"




 "There you are.
I've been wondering where you went.

What's Daddy doing?

Why didn't you come down to the house?
 Supper is almost ready."


"You left the lid off on the snake container.
 You're going to lose that snake like you did the other if you 
don't remember to close it up.


Are you listening to me?...



What are you staring at on the well house?"



 "I'm watching the bees go in and out of the holes."




 Then I noticed them:
dancing and buzzing
and darting in the breeze:

a ballet of dips and dives.



 
Tiger was clapping at them with her paws...

 like a reckless child with fearless curiosity.





There's no need for sports in a stadium
with a cheering crowd
and loud speakers.
Just the soft warm grass of a carpeted lawn
and the distant hum
of a lawn mower.

He's lost in deep thoughts,
not watching
circus performing acts of grand scale
or a zoo
or amusement park;

but with the companionship of little cats,
he delights at watching the bees fly 
in reckless abandon
and then gracefully land at 
the bee-sized hole and disappear
in an instant.

Oh, how I love this age:
the simplistic entertainment of a four year old boy and his "friends."

 


"The best things in life are nearest:
  Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand,
the path of right just before you.
Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes,
certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life."
~Robert Louis Stevenson


Linked to:
A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home

11 comments:

  1. Just love how you describe the simplest things!Levi is so sweet...the best things in life truly are the nearest!Looking forward to your plant sale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol - Levi will not lose that "easy does it" attitude - he just needs to become a Forester!! ;)

    I hope mom fit in some time in "just bee-ing" and sitting next to him to watch the event?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I love this post! As simple and lovely as the slice of life that you describe.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is what I call cheap, fun entertainment. Your 4 year old was so cute too. Thanks for sharing, this was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a beautiful description of simple life. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is what "homeschooling" is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the best things about being a mommy is that you see things new again. WeeMan is like that outside. We spent an afternoon last summer watching ants on the sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I love that Levi already and I haven't even met him yet!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the post I featured on my sidebar. I just love it. You are a great story teller and photographer.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!