Friday, June 24, 2011

Kitchen Update...continues


 Welcome to my kitchen...

a work in progress.

 We finally got the cabinets in
and my husband finished putting the pulls on last night.

I am HAPPY !


To truly understand how much I'm loving my new counter top,
 
 this is what the old one looked like,
no matter how much I scrubbed and bleached it.


 The cupboards were pressed board,
and were shedding their crumbling ingredients
all over everything inside of them.


 So my Farmer had these made for me
for my Christmas present.


 I struggled with which color to paint them...



 and actually used both.
I succumbed to my love of green,
but then mixed some of the blue with it for a lightly brushed top coat.

I then waxed them with Fiddes and Sons clear and rugger brown wax.


 
 This countertop went through much abuse from me

(you can see that <HERE>)


to get it to look like this:





I'm still in the process of painting all the walls and trim in the kitchen
(walls white; 
trim some green and some white).



 I painted the top cabinets with Annie Sloan's Old White
and a wash of Paris Gray,
(So nice to paint the doors without taking them down!)







Speaking of Annie Sloan's chalk paint,
these two metal buckets are painted in Provence.
I put a plastic bag in each and filled them with potting soil
and put real boxwood cuttings in them.
(My aunt has rooted some this way for me before.)

I love this corner shelf.
 It's fun to change the look up for the seasons...



and fresh flowers are a favorite decoration in any room!



(I adore these "Purple Rooster" Monarda flowers that are new to my flower garden
-also known as Bee Balm-.
They make the word 'pretty' seem too small.)

We have added trim to cover up the screws that the previous ownersused to hang the bead board;...




and this island is finally painted green like the base cabinets;
I supposed I need to take some new pictures.



 I was hoping to make a curtain for the door out of this vintage piece
as well, so...

until next time...

I better get busy,
and
thank you for stopping in!




  

Linked up to these fun parties:

25 comments:

  1. I LOVE your kitchen! It's looking beautiful. I love the beadboard and the countertops and the green cabinets and your pulls... it looks like it all just belongs in your lovely old house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I LOVE that green. It looks completely gorgeous!! What a lovely present! You lucky girlie!!

    Thank you so much for joining in with my Kitchen Favourites party - I'm SO pleased yours was ready in time!!

    You must have the newest kitchen of all!!

    Sarahxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the green in your kitchen!
    ...and dark wood tones.
    Your kitchen is beautiful. It looks so homey.
    over from the MCS kitchen party.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the counter top and cabinets! I really love the pulls too. They all look so great in your cozy old home! about the trim, can you do a test somewhere to see which looks better? I thin your cabinets look great with the white, but if you do trim in gray maybe they would blend better. Tough decision...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray !!!!! It looks great!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I"d just stain the upper cabinets with the rugger's wax.

    It's all looking wonderful! You've done an amazing job.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Tonya, I commented under Dan's email address. That was actually me talking:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the look of the chalkboard paint! How lovely!!! I must try it somewhere in my house soon! ;) I found you through the link up on serenity now!

    Becoming Martha
    http://jensidea.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your counter top and cabinets and corner shelf and... and... It all looks great together!
    (visiting via Modern Country Style's blog party)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. It's been a long process, but I do like the way things are turning out. I wish you all could come for a visit over a cup of tea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your kitchen looks lovely with the new cabinets. Lots of work but well worth it. Love your floors btw.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, Love! I have got to try the chalk paint! Great job you did!
    Visiting from Serenity Now.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so pretty! I love the colors you choose and loooooove the countertops!! You sound exactly like me with the paint colors, I can never just pick one, I'm always second guessing myself!! lol Check out my blog, you'll get a chuckle out of it! I can't wait to try the Chalk Paint!!
    xoxo
    Jeri

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love your kitchen! It's so charming and love how you've decorated it too. Those little green glass knobs are so perfect.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am popping over from Sarah's Kitchen Favourites party to see your kitchen. Oh my, how I love your green cupboards.

    You can see my kitchen in my Chicago Vintage apartment. Can you stay for tea?

    Fondly,
    Glenda (link # 62)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your kitchen is GORGEOUS!!! I absolutely love the green and white combo and the beautiful pulls. I pinned this on Pinterest so that I could remember it for when we move into our new place in a couple of years. Seriously, I am copying your verbatim! Haha. For real, though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a great job!! I love how you've put together such a great balance of country and vintage. And the green on your cabinets. Just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What color green is on your cabinets? Is it Annie Sloan's or not?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how fun. I absolutely love green. I am still trying to get motivated to finish my barstools from red to green. I keep thinking about your trim. What do you think of white walls and another shade of white for the trim. Maybe even do the top cabinets and trim in the same color? Just thinking out loud. I can't wait to see it all done. No matter what you do it will look great because I love everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am a newbie to your blog from Under the Table and Dreaming and I just love your kitchen glad you chose the green and the counter tops are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your kitchen looks fabulous - I love the green, so cheerful! I've got this linked to my kitchen cabinets post too today, for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your kitchen is beautiful! I love green cabinets and the countertop is gorgeous! Your a natural with styling too. So pretty! Thanks so much for sharing in the Roomspiration kitchen party! ;)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh you have a great kitchen over here!! I love the choices you made on your kitchen, and see that our kitchens share a few things in common. The green looks AS Antibbes green~is it? How nice to have a hubby that can make cabinets! I used to have a bee balm plant in my big garden when we had a house in New Hampshire.

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE this kitchen! You have done a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!