Tuesday, December 4, 2012

$25 Christmas Mantel



 This year I decided I didn't want to purchase anything new for my Christmas decorating.

It's easy to get caught up with all the pretty things at the stores,
but I wanted to see if I could save some money
and still create something new for my mantel
that anybody could create if they wanted to at a reasonable cost.
I dug through what I had
and most of what I did use was from yard sales or second hand stores:
  • 2 pine cone candle holders = $2
  • two brass candle stands with glass tops = $4
  • tall gold with red glass candle holder = $2
  • silver box used as a pedestal for little house = $1
  • little houses after Christmas sale = $.25 each
  • red vase = $1
  • silver candle stands with red votive tops (purchased separately) = $4
  • little trees from previous years, especially after Christmas sales = $2   (some of the trees I made using pieces of artificial evergreens that I snipped off and shaped and then painted with 2 parts white paint mixed with 1 part Plaster of Paris. I then glued these into old wooden spools from some of my grandmother's stash of thread I had used up.)
  • wreath I made from our grape vines and decorated with pieces I got in a bag of greenery supplies at the charity store, ribbon I had from an after Christmas sale, moss ribbon, and a bird I made from home-made papier mache a few years back; the other two birds on the mantel were a $.25 purchase at the charity store.
  • About 5 pieces of double-sided scrap-booking paper that I also found at a yard sale = $.25
  • votive candles = $1


I figured out that with what I did have and the paint and crafting supplies I used,
excluding the mirror,
I had spent about $25 for my mantel decorations and supplies.

(That is taking into account that I also used a good part of the crafting supplies in creating things to sell:
the silver spray paint,
moss ribbon,
plaster of Paris,
glass glitter,
glue gun and sticks,
gold and white paint paint,
ribbon and heavy jute).



I created 9 new Christmas tree decorations from "junk",
like the silver ones shown above,






the cereal box trees I explained in a previous post,
these others with them that I will share in a couple of days,


 

and these mossy ones in this picture.

The greens in the vases I got from around the house:
pine, holly, white and silver spray-painted branches, and boxwood.


For the garland, I made some origami stars
and hung them from some heavy jute
(I hope to explain how to create them in the coming days).






 It is fun to create a few home-made decorations every year,
and the fact that it helps keep things in the budget makes it seem to sparkle just a little bit brighter.


Do you have any home-made decorations or tips you use in Christmas decorating?
I'd love to hear about them!


To see a picture of the  mantel in daylight,
you can see it in my previous post >HERE<.

The Lettered Cottage

4 comments:

  1. Love it!!! I really want to know how to make those stars! I still have not gotten out my Christmas stuff yet :( I made stockings today. I am so slow, but really enjoying Christmas this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! and love that you did it on a budget!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic and I think it is so important to inspire people to recycle and be creative rather than buying more stuff. This year I have really made a dent in my stashed craft goodies and it is so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh.

    My.

    This post made me all teary.

    Your home is so lovely and welcoming.

    That mantel looks like A MILLION BUCKS! Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!