Monday, March 21, 2011

Welcome, Gourd-geous Springtime!


Welcome Spring!
You are such a cheerful time of year.




I found a basket of these small gourds at a local thrift store
for ten cents each.
(Please excuse my paint holder purple "Junk" box.
It is a remnant from my childhood.)

After I soaked them in water with a little bit of bleach in it
for about 2 weeks,
I washed them and then scrubbed the "skin" off.
It's tedious but necessary to make the paint stick.

They then sat in a sunny windowsill to be dried,
taking about another week.

(I have problems with crafts taking over the windowsills.
I think I need help).


Then I base-coated them.


and sketched an image on them like here,
(I didn't take a picture of the sketching process for the
butterfly gourd, so I'm showing you this example)
I then inked in the picture using permanent calligraphy ink
and calligraphy pen.



Here' is the completed inked version
along with the image I got from The Graphics Fairy



 
After it was thoroughly dried
(a few days),
I erased the pencil markings
and then painted the picture,
using watered-down acrylic paints.
Once the paint dried...




I Modge-Podged it to seal it.
Now it sits on an egg-holder from an Easter Egg
(a small candle holder would work as well).
















I also added some tiny white glitter when the whole thing
had dried.
I brushed on a slightly thick painting of glue wherever I wanted the glitter to be
and then poured the glitter on those spots.



Visit thecsiproject.comthis blessed nest













7 comments:

  1. This is Beautiful! It looks amazing.. and I read your other post about your bloggy feelings and all I have to say is... Keep doing what you're doing!.. It works for you and and I for one love it.. no butter intended.. blogging should be about what makes you happy! Oh yeah.. and thanks for sharing your beauty with my Pink Hippo Party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just simply delightful!!!

    Makes me wish I had at least ONE artistic bone in my body.

    Fisherhubby does - - - what do you think are the chances that I could pull him away from his fishing poles long enough to put a brush in his hands???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. You are one AMAZINGLY TALENTED woman. Thanks for the great blog and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. you have some serious skills, my friend.

    that butterfly looks exactly like your inspiration. beautiful work.

    thanks for linking up to the SPRING FLING!

    kellie

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!