Friday, July 20, 2012

Take a Seat on My Soft Cushioned Chairs.



Flat. Ugly. Worn.


I'm talking about my dining room chairs out on the porch.
That's what my seat cushions were.


When I checked out prices for new ones:
the prices seemed a bit high for cushions that seemed to squish into nothing.


I had gotten some nice heavy material at a store out by the Amish
for $3.50 a yard.





I found some larger throw pillows at the second hand store for $.99 each.




After washing the pillows as well as the material,
I cut the material to a slightly larger size of the pillow
(one must take into account that the pillow is fat and will need a bit more fabric to fit it),
I sewed 2 long (about 24 inches long)
 thin pieces (about 3 inches wide folded in half to be 1 1/2 inches wide) for each pillow.




I placed a large safety pin at one end,
turned it in and pushed it through the middle,
pulling the tube right side out.
These were then placed in the back two corners of the pillow cover.
(I folded them in half so each long tube actually became two strings in the corner)
and then the cushion was sewn together, right sides in,
leaving about 12 inches unsewn by which to turn the pillow cover right side out
(straps facing in on the right side, so they'd be facing out when I turned the cushion inside out).

Once the pillow cover was turned right side out,
with the two straps (now four straps) in the two back corners,
the pillow was inserted through the hole.



There are super long needles one may purchase
 that will make sewing through a heavy pillow.
I sewed four dips into the pillow to flatten it slightly.

Green buttons on one side of the cushion were used for a decorative look.



Now I have nice fluffy seat cushions at a much better cost
(six seats add up),
I know that I recycled six throw pillows that were obviously on their last leg
(if that may be said about a pillow),
and I got to use material that I liked as well.

 Now, I just need to go finish that one last pillow before we have some fun guests over on Sunday.

How about you?
Have you ever re-purposed something to save a little money
and have any good tips to share?
I'd love to hear about it!



Joining the fun at:
Missmustardseed.com



Homespun Happenings

10 comments:

  1. Lovely and a good idea,have a lovely weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill! I hope you had a great weekend, too!!

      Delete
  2. That is a great idea! They look like you bought them! Have fun on Sunday! Thank you for linking this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy!! I hope you had a great Sunday, too!!! :)

      Delete
  3. So pretty! Love your window curtains, also! I love pretty much everything about your house. It is so unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, you are such an amazing, kind person. Your comments always make my day!!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful cushion. Hope you have a wonderful Monday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Crissy! I hope you have a fantastic Tuesday! :)

      Delete
  5. I am a big fan of repurposing. We have a few doorways at home that don't have any doors. We took twin-sized flat bedsheets and cut slits on either end of the big top seam and threaded them over tension rods to make curtains. They worked beautifully and are great for keeping the drafts out in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really seem to love cushioned chairs :) Though they are comfortable..

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!