Our kitchen table:
When I bought it, I decided to stain the top
and paint the legs black.
but it seemed to show up every finger print, smear, and drip...
always looked dirty.
So I finally decide to paint it.
I used Annie Sloan's Pure White for the top.
Oh, yes, white! That will hide the dirt, right?
Being a lover of diamonds,
I used frog tape for the pattern.
(I like frog tape for making distinct lines on furniture:
it really works great at not letting the paint bleed.)
I decided on a light green for the opposite diamonds.
Ah, yes, things were progressing better than usual.
I was stumped on the legs.
I couldn't decide between red, gray, green, provence blue,
Being the smart person that I am,
I asked my nine year old's opinion.
Surprisingly, she did not go with her typical choice of purple,
but chose yellow.
"It must be yellow."
She's so decisive where I am not.
"Really?" I wasn't sure.
Yellow would not have been my first choice.
I took the risk and used ASCP Arles yellow.
She was right.
It looked very bright and cheerful.
I decided to try some crackle paint.
I painted it on the chalk paint and let it dry.
Then I painted some sunny yellow paint I had,
and watched as the crackle worked.
After it dried,
the brown wax used with clear
helped to make the legs look old.
For the top,
I sanded it lightly
and then put two coats of polyerthane on it.
The stained wood comes through a bit,
giving it a rough look.
I am hoping this brighter but dinged up style will hide the prints of daily life
a bit better than the dark wood did.
It feels really good to have the kitchen completed.
I will end with some pictures of the gradual transformation/organization of our kitchen.
For Christmas 2011 my husband said I could replace the base cupboards
(they were falling apart).
We also painted the top cupboards and my husband attached
some decorative molding.
To see that transformation
I love colorful pieces.
To see how I updated some of the pieces I had
to more colorful ones
To the left of the door above
is a stand with the convection oven on it.
Above it is my utensil rack:
These are faux vintage utensils
and the painted effect has lasted pretty well.
To see how they were created
The kitchen curtains are made from
a vintage table cloth.
To see how the curtains were made
To see how I stained my "old-look" new counter top
To see how the "vintage look" watering can was made
To see how the spice jars were created
To see how I made the bird picket sign behind my stove
Printed, laminated signs made into magnets.
To see the transformation of the red cereal cupboard
To see the wall display created above the cereal cupboard
Thank you for joining me on making my kitchen
the place I hoped it would become.
(And thank you to my Farmer for tolerating the stages it has taken to get there.)
Linking up to: