Monday, July 11, 2011

Painting Sub-flooring

When deciding on what type of flooring to install in our
enclosed porch,
we ran into the problem of choice
as we don't plan on keeping it heated throughout the winter.

All types of flooring need to be protected from freezing temperatures
in order to prevent cracking, shrinking, curling, bubbling,
and all manor of havoc.

Indoor/outdoor carpet seemed to be the only option,
but that was not an option for me.
I've dealt with rugs and kids
on a farm
where there is mud, hay, and that worse stuff coating the barnyard,
not to mention
an indoor dog,
and
a farmer who comes in to roost.
It's a dismal battle: it just never stays clean.

I have painted the wooden floors and steps in our house
and love the easy maintenance of them.

 This is what the stairs to the bedrooms looked like
when we bought our house.



Our sweet, faithful dog Fido looking much younger
on the transformed steps.
(My farmer also added a necessary railing since this picture).



The view of the steps looking down
(and yes, rugs are essential here:
too many falls down the stairs from sock-covered feet,
my farmer being the most-oft victim).

So I wondered if we could do something to the 
sub-flooring on the porch.


I googled it and came upon Denise's wonderful blog.



Denise has painted the sub-flooring in beautiful ways
throughout her house.

She has painted faux wood floors,
rugs,
checkered board floors,




and even her bathroom floors.



Denise also shares a post from a year later
with helpful preventative advice.

I've been working on the porch floor all weekend
and run into my own obstacles and tips
that I'll be sharing in the coming days.

I also plan to share some of my own wooden floors I have painted
and some tips
now that I've finally located the pictures,
risking life and limb in the wasp bomb-squad controlled attic.


Until next time,
here is Denise's tips on how to paint sub-flooring.


Thanks so much Denise,
for posting such helpful advice and pictures
and for allowing me to share them on my blog.

Raising Homemakers

4 comments:

  1. DIY people like you (and Denise!) amaze me, and that's the truth.

    I am simply green with envy when I see the transformations you can effect in your home!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see it when it is done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job. Eagerly waiting for the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!! I am eagerly awaiting the finish also...especially to get all the porch furniture out of the living room! :S

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!