Saturday, March 24, 2012

Stepping Up to the Chalk Board.



A couple weeks ago,
a blogger I enjoy reading named
Miss Mustardseed showed a chalkboard she had done:

and stated that she had tried it because of a woman named
(If you click on Dana's name, you can see some of her amazing work)

Incredible!
Who would of thought one could be so talented on a chalkboard!



Needless to say,
I wanted to try...
to a MUCH smaller extent,
of course.

I knew a large project of this type might render me bald by the time I was done,
or fingernail-less.

 
 and decided to use the back of it.


 After painting two coats of the chalkboard paint on it...
I borrowed my daughter's school ruler
and began a much harder adventure than I had imagined.




I sketched an image I'd found from the Graphics Fairy,

Graphicsfairy.blogspot.com


and experimented with some different lettering ideas.




I have to tell you,
I had to get up and leave it a couple times
and come back another day or two when I was feeling fresh again.

I got some advice
(thanks, Mom)
that it needed some color,
so here is my minimal attempt at being an artsy school teacher.



My miniature version was a fun experiment,


 and I have a very high regard for chalkboard artists now.


 Sometimes it's fun to challenge oneself and take a chance at something new.
I learned that some things are much harder than they seem:
I think I'll stick to paints.

Have you tried anything challenging lately?


To be amazed and see
Dana Tanamachi in action,

7 comments:

  1. I like that takes me back to school days xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. PERFECT! I love it...great job! The colors you added make it pop. (mom's always right!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so neat. It reminds me of the Oprah cover from a few months back.

    Have you tried the chalk paints yet?

    I ordered a set for a new little blackboard in my office. I'm really anxious to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very NICE~
    You did a fabulous job.

    I've been thinking of trying something in paints/canvas. Not much of painter..but thought about giving it a try. Your post inspires me! ~Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute, and it makes for a great header, too!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fabulous! Nice drawing (even with chalk!)
    Susan
    Homeroad

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have great ideas, I love this. I'm following:) I hope you'll share this at my link party, running now through Saturday night! :)
    http://www.gratefulbelly.com/2012/03/whats-new-wednesday-two-and-give-away.html

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!