Monday, December 3, 2012

How to Paint Pinecones



Greetings, friends!

I thought I'd throw in this quick post on how to paint pinecones,
or, at least, some easy whimsical pinecones I think are fun to make.


I have really enjoyed using Martha Stewart's all-purpose paints
because the squeeze bottles and fine tip make them super easy to draw/paint with.
These little bottles have lasted me through a lot of projects, too.
They stick well to wood or glass, and I even found that they can be stained over.


First I start with a stem
and then the top of the pinecone is a fat "M".



(I just paint the "M" and then go back over it and spread it out some).



I then put a few dashes under the "M",
just enough to line up under it.





Another row of dots and dashes
(I try to stagger them under the first row).




And then another row.





I want to start making it narrow a little,
so the next row is just two dashes.








A dash and a dot.




A slightly longer dash finishes off the bottom.


There isn't a set number of dashes and dots.
Variety makes the pinecones look more natural,
well,
as natural as a whimsical pinecone can be.



Some random green lines at the top make pine needles.


I then use another color green to make some more needles,
to add a dimensional look to them.

I used a glitter green for the accent needles.




I love adding these pinecones to Christmas ornaments.




So, what do you think?
Do you think a few dots and dashes are ready to become pinecones in your life?





2 comments:

  1. Very lovely. I would not have thought painting 'pinecones' would be so easy! Thanks for showing them!
    Love the little snowman--the bells are great especially with the curly wire embellishments...you're so clever!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet yet so simple. Thanks for breaking it down for us!
    Thank you for linking up with the Clever Chicks this week; I hope you’ll join us again!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!